Types of Membership:
1. Active Fire/EMS
To apply for this type of membership you must be at least eighteen years of age, in good health, and of good moral character. You must reside within the Lake Shore Fire Protection District or its immediate vicinity. A background check and physical as well as a commitment to complete the required training are required. The training to become a firefighter is significant. You are required to hold or be willing to attend and complete a New York State Firefighter certification. You must also attend and complete Emergency Medical Services Training. These must be completed in twelve (12) and eighteen (18) months respectively. A call minimum policy and other requirements will be explained during the application process.
2. Active EMS
To apply for this type of membership you must be at least eighteen years of age, in good health, and of good moral character. You must reside within the Lake Shore Fire Protection District or its immediate vicinity. A background check and physical are part of the application process. A certification of Emergency Medical Technician or higher must be maintained throughout this type of membership. A call minimum policy and other requirements will be explained during the application process.
3. Junior Firefighter
To apply for this type of membership you must be between 12 and 17 years of age, and in good health, and of good moral character. You must reside within the Lake Shore Fire Protection District or its immediate vicinity. Junior firefighters are introduced and educated on what it takes to be a firefighter.
Associate Member: must be 21 years of age or older and be of good moral character. Associate members do not respond to fire or ems calls but may be asked to assist in daily operations of the Fire Company.
New Member Application Process
Thank you in for your interest in becoming a member of the Lake Shore Volunteer Fire Company, Inc.. By reading this, you have begun the first step. Fill out the form above and a recruitment member will contact you. If you decide to apply, you will be provided an application for membership and given information on how to proceed.
Applications for Active Membership: Your application will be reviewed, and you will be contacted by the Vice-President who will schedule a meeting of the Sub-Investigating and Orientation Committee. You will meet with them, and you will be interviewed.
• During your interview, the Sub니nvestigating and Orientation Committee will inform you of the requirements of membership. We encourage you to take notes and ask questions. If a question arises after your interview, please feel free to contact your sponsor or the Vice-President.
• Additional forms may need to be completed during your interview. There is a twenty dollar one time application fee that all new active applicants pay to the Fire Company.
• We ask that you bring your driver’s license, state issued ID or proof of residency with you to the inter-view. You should also bring copies of any training or certifications (CFR, EMT, completed class certificates, fire courses, etc...) you’ve obtained in the past, so we can make copies for your file.
• A physical authorization form will be provided to you for your medical examination. It is your responsibility to schedule and attend a medical examination by the Fire Co. physician before your application can be voted upon.
• Your application will be read at a regular Fire Company meeting. Then you must attend a meeting with the Sub-Investigating & Orientation Committee and then with the Board of Directors. Your application will be forwarded to the next regular Fire Company meeting at which time it will hear a report of the Sub-Investigating and Board will be given and your application will be voted on.
Applications for Active Membership: Once your application is approved by the Fire Company, your name will be sent to the Town of Hamburg for approval. You are considered an Associate Member and shall follow those requirements until written notification is received and read at a Fire Company meeting. You will then be presented to the Fire company as a new active member and can participate in that capacity.
Applications for Junior and Associate Membership: Your application for membership will be reviewed by the Vice President and then presented to the Board of Directors. It will be read at the next Fire Company meeting and voted on. There is a five dollar one time application fee that all junior applicants pay to the Fire Company.
If you have questions and would like to learn more about membership, please use the the form above and a member of our recruitment team will get back to you as soon as possible.